An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Networking Pays Off!

Don't ever let anyone tell you that social networking is a waste of time!

That's the gist of my post today, and I'm going to tell you why. I'm also going to give you some advice on where to go to schmooze and rub elbows...at least in the literary world.

Were you popular in high school? I was not. I wasn't a cheerleader and I wasn't a geek. I was somewhere lost in the Sea of In-Between. I had my circle and that circle knew me and loved me. To everyone else, I was invisible. 

 As in the movie, Chicago, the character of Amos complained that no one seemed to notice him. He could yell, "fire" in a crowded theater and not be heard.

This chronic invisibility translated into my adulthood. As a writer trying to get noticed, invisibility is a major stumbling block.

Perhaps invisibility isn't your problem. Perhaps yours is shyness or less than stellar social skills. Welcome to the League of Dysfunctional Writers. You wouldn't be a good writer if you didn't have quirks. :-)

The nice thing about this electronic age is that we don't have to limit ourselves to public appearances, etc. We have the internet. We can stay "virtually" anonymous behind our websites and blogs and such. However, the virtual aspect of marketing will have to wait for another post. (I'm still trying to master that one.) Right now, I'd like to share a success story with you. 

Although I'm not the most socially adept person in the world, I still want to get involved in my local writer's community. I live in a mid-sized city; not not a metropolis, but still plenty of civilization, culture and...smog. If you keep your eyes peeled, there are always events and gatherings to attend in your area that would at least help you meet fellow writers, if not people of higher literary influence. 

When I moved here, I attended book fairs, awards ceremonies and author appearances as a spectator. It didn't matter if these people were strangers to me. I slipped into a nice dress, loaded up on business cards and put on my best smile. I didn't talk about myself unless I was asked. I joined conversations and listened intently about everyone else's work, their books, their accomplishments. And when all was said and done, I handed them a card. 

Sometimes I walked away feeling like an inexperienced hack who had no business schmoozing with such creative geniuses, but I learned how this community of writers worked. I saw the politics and the social/professional dynamic. What I didn't realize at the time was that I was making an impression. 

A few months ago, I got an email out of the blue from our local rag, The Statesman Journal. Somehow, they'd heard about me and wanted to interview me for a local author feature in one of their bi-monthly publications. Of course I jumped at the chance. Any kind of publicity would help, right?

I felt like a celebrity as they interviewed me. I felt like a movie star during the real, live photo shoot! The fluttering butterflies in my stomach were the good kind of butterflies; the excited kind. And afterward, they told me when to expect the article's release. 

Imagine that: Lil' ol' me was going to have an article in a magazine! How exciting. How thrilling! I couldn't wait to read it. Imagine my surprise when I arrived to pick up a copy at The Statesman Journal.

There I was, ON THE COVER! Judging by the startled faces of the newspaper employees, I gathered that they were not accustomed to someone squealing with delight in their lobby. 

Not only did I receive a delightful full-color spread along with my article, but I received the pleasant surprise of being a Cover Girl! Publicity x's 10!

I found out later that I was recommended for the article by a fellow writer, a woman I'd met at one of the functions I'd mentioned above. She was also featured in the magazine and she'd passed my name along to the people in charge. 

That, folks, is a prime example of how networking pays off. 

So even if you think it's not doing you any good, even if you think you're floundering in the Sea of Invisibility, your efforts WILL pay off.

Looking for ways to get involved? Try these tactics:

  • Check your local library frequently. Often times, they'll hold events, groups and contests for writers. 
  • If you write children's or young adult tales, local libraries and schools offer story time where you can read to kids and promote your work.
  • Check with your local City Hall. They usually have a list of upcoming events. Nowadays even small towns have websites with this information. 
  • Keep your eye on local coffee shop and supermarket bulletin boards for author book signings and appearances.
  • Contribute your two cents on writer's blogs and group internet sites. With a little detective work, you're sure to find a few located close to home. The more you contribute, the more your name and work will be remembered. People you meet on these sites will be more likely to approach you for interviews or guest blogging on their site.
  • Offer freebies. If you have a book out now, give away free copies to interested parties. The other day, the gas station attendant I met was tickled pink with the honor of receiving a copy of my book. Don't be surprised if such interactions result in further sales and glowing reviews. 
  • And last but not least: If there are no writer/author events in your area, make one. Get out there and talk to the local library or City Hall, and organize a book fair. Talk to the local newspaper about interviewing you for an article. It's okay to shamelessly promote yourself once in a while.
Despite any social misgivings you might have, people are interested in your work. Get out there and talk to them about it. You'll be delighted in the results. I know I am. :-)  
 




No comments:

Post a Comment