An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Achieving the Bliss Note

If you're a fan of Southpark, (my sympathies BTW,) you may recall an episode where they referred to what was called "the brown note". As I am a lady above all else, I will not elaborate as to what the brown note means. The reason I'm posting today is about how to achieve "The Bliss Note".

The Bliss Note is self-explanatory and has the opposite effect of the brown note. All writers have their own unique style of writing. They come from different corners of the globe, different walks of life, different work environments and each has a different way of getting themselves in the "writing zone." I'm comfortable in assuming that most writers have one thing in common: They listen to music while they write. Some may prefer complete and utter silence, but let's just say that MOST like to hear some music in the background, if only for the ambiance alone.

I am an extremely  imaginative person. I see magic in everything and I soak it up like a wide-eyed child on his or her first trip to Disneyland. I have recently discovered my penchant for a certain sound in music. It is not genre necessarily, but the note arrangements. (Someday I will ask a music expert if such an assortment has a name.) This sort of music includes songs by Evenescense, Owl City and Daft Punk. It's a dreamy electronica kind of music with lots of minor and sharp notes.

Listening to this music catapults me into another world or dimension; a creative dimension. With this music in the background, (not blaring until my speakers have a tempter tantrum) my muse flows effortlessly and it actually gets me excited about writing and life in general.

Is there a certain music or artist that does that for you? Have you ever heard a song that makes the hair on your arms to stand at attention and forces you to close your eyes and sway with it? If you answered yes, you've caught a glimpse of your Bliss Note.

Don't be alarmed. They're not sending you subliminal messages in the music, the music itself has tapped into that ever-illusive spot in your brain that switches your creative juices on. Seize that song, download it and put it on a loop. I know that can get old quickly, so start making a list of more songs that have that magical effect on you. Write them down and before long, you'll have an epic playlist.

It doesn't matter how silly your choices are. Heck, I'm sure most of you would laugh yourselves into hysteria if you heard mine. Everything from Fatboy Slim to Disney's Main Street Electrical Parade. Music = inspiration. Push play, close your eyes and feel yourself launch into that cosmic infinity. Your stories will thank you for it. Every writer needs to find their Bliss Note.

3 comments:

  1. Nice one, Jennifer. For me, music either totally gets me in the zone or completely distracts me. It depends more on my mood than on the music itself. There are a few artists that make me want to punch a hole in the wall, and I avoid those whether writing or not. My husband is a Nirvana fan. I cannot tolerate Nirvana for even a few seconds. I get snappy, irritated, and irritable even if I'm not actually paying attention to the music. He has taken to changing any Nirvana song that starts playing when we're together. Sometimes it takes my first irritated comment but usually he tries to avoid letting it get that far. I will go from laughing and joking to irritable and mean in a matter of seconds when Nirvana starts playing. I guess that means they're definitely not in my Bliss Note list. :-)
    When I wrote my first book, I listened to a lot of Luther Vandross. My second book, I listened to a variety of music and found times when I couldn't listen to any music. My NiP seems to like a variety of pop, dance, and ballads. But I cannot listen to classical music while working on it which is odd because it's the first time that's happened with anything I'm writing.
    So I guess for me my Bliss Note is highly affected by what I'm writing instead of the music inspiring me. Wow, I hadn't even thought about it until I read this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In many ways, I agree with T.L...., for me, the effectiveness of listening to music while I write is more a matter of my mood and what I'm working on than the music itself. I have to admit that I have trouble listening to songs with lyrics while I'm writing. I love Evanescence, but playing anything by them while working would totally distract me. On the other hand, an instrumental in the right tone will make my imagination blossom. (One of my favorites is "Seed" by the Afro-Celt Sound System.) But never underestimate the power of background music during brainstorming sessions!

    Thanks for another though-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same, Andrea. I cannot concentrate with lyrics in the background. The only exception to that rule is if I don't know the song. I also prefer instrumentals. No words to get in the way of the music.
    I'm going to check out that song you mentioned as well. Perhaps I'll add that one to my epic playlist. :)
    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete