An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Fickle Muse of a Writer

Greetings Writers and Blog Followers!

It's been a while since I've posted anything. Mainly because I don't have anything substantial to report. I've received a couple more rejections. I think I'm starting to get used to it, which is slightly disturbing. I guess it comes with the territory.

I've also been doing a lot of reading and researching lately and I've come to the conclusion that I should share a recurring theme I've encountered. Whenever an author is interviewed, you can almost guarantee that the interviewer will ask, "Where do you get your ideas?" or "Where do you find your inspiration?" Unless a writer has only one place or situation in which they find their story ideas, this is an unanswerable question. 99.9% of writers will be unable to pinpoint exactly where or when their muse will strike. Inspiration is like lightning. You never know where it's going to strike and once it does hit you, you'll never be the same again.

In my case, I get most of my story ideas from my dreams. That's where "Wallflower" came from as well as about a half-dozen others that are yet to be written. Aside from that, my muse has pulled me aside and demanded my attention at the most inopportune times...say in the middle of church or at work when I'm dealing with a customer and can't break away.

I share something in common with many writers who say that their inspiration hits them when they're driving or in the shower. I can't tell you how many times I've been caught with soap in my hair and a brilliant idea of which I have no way of penning until I finish the showering process, dry off and make haste to my notebook. By that time, I will have surely forgotten the gist of the juiciness.

If you're just starting out as a writer or you're dying to learn how your favorite author conjures his or her magical tales, you're going to have to forget about it. He or she may be able to tell you where each individual story came from, but for the most part, a writer's muse is a fickle creature. It's always lurking in the shadows and you may or may not be able to put yourself in a situation where it's conducive to the muse, but for the most part, writers are at the mercy of their muse. You cannot, summon it. You cannot, replicate it, and you definitely cannot force it.

So you're asking, "Well, how do I find a story idea, or how do I get past this damn writer's block?"

First and foremost, calm yourself. Take a deep breath and stop trying so hard. Your muse can't work with all that stress and tension in the way. (Remember, your muse is a fickle celebrity who will storm off to their trailer at the slightest offense.)

Second, give your muse something to work with; a jumping off point, if you will. If your stories generally tend to be romantic or exotic, take a notebook and go someplace quiet and beautiful. Perhaps a museum or a botanical garden. If your stories are busy, hectic or horrific, go to a hospital, a police station or a graveyard. Sit, observe and imagine. Your muse will take one look at your surroundings and start spouting off "what-ifs" in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment