An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Inner Writer vs. the Inner Editor

Yes, I've heard it before, but I didn't listen. As a writer, I educate myself by reading articles and blogs as well as attending as many classes and conferences as I can afford. On more than one occasion, I've been told NOT to edit as I write. "First blush is the best" they say. Don't interrupt the muse or distract it by going back and tweeking the last paragraph.

Well this is hard for me. Very hard.

I don't expect a perfect first draft, but I do expect something that's readable, if not remotely resembling the finished product.

If you're anything like me, you'll finish a paragraph or two and go back and read it over. For me, this helps realign my thinking with the plot ahead. I become so completely immersed in the subject at hand, I need to be reminded where I'm going with this.

Well, yesterday I received my daily email/writing prompt from savvyauthors.com. It laid out a detailed exercise of free writing for 10 minutes. (10 minutes is just an example, but you can set the time however long you want.) They suggest that you set your kitchen timer, or your watch for a ten minute alarm, sit down with a notebook and write without self-editing for the set duration.

"Write the first thing that pops into your mind." They said. "Don't pause to reflect or come up with a better adjective, just write. And above all, don't go back for corrections. If you misspell something, leave it. No matter what you write, leave it."

Sounds intriguing, doesn't it? I'm not sure I can pull it off, but I will admit that I spend entirely too much time self-editing on a first draft. I wonder what it would look like if I just scribbled down the uncensored words in my head. I think I'll try it.

What about you?

Are you a chronic self-editor or perfectionist? Or are you the "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" kind of person? Let me know. Hopefully, I'll post the results of my 10 minute exercise later today.

Ta-ta!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the exercise. I try not to edit as I go, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Maybe type with a blindfold on to be sure you don't edit lol? When I sit down to work, I read the previous days work and very lightly edit, and that's it, no more. Then I start writing and let the words come as they may. I won't go back over the entire work until the first draft is complete. Second draft is major overhaul mode for me.

    ReplyDelete