An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Golden Rule for Writers??

As a blustering storms builds outside my window, a similar cold and cantankerous storm brews within me and I feel compelled to share my plight with you.

As you can see, it's been a while since I've posted anything new on my blog. This is because I haven't been writing lately.Oh sure, a little bit here and there. I've posted an entry on the monthly WEbook writing challenge and I've done some editing and reviews for a few fellow writers, but as for my novel in progress: Nothing.

Mind you, this is not for lack of inspiration or motivation. Those things still rage in me like the Amazon during rainy season. My problem is different. There's something in the storyline of The Swamplands that's hanging me up to the point that I don't want to write a word until I can put my finger on the exact nature of the problem.

My hang up is also hanging me up. By that I mean that I feel guilty for not writing. Anyone who has written or is in the process of writing a novel has probably heard the Golden Rule of writing. "You must write every day, even if it's only a few lines. You must write."

Well, I'm here to say that I disagree with that.

Sure, a writer should write something every day, but when a writer is in a funk like I am at the moment, I don't believe that they should dare write a single word in their current forming novel. In this less-than-genuine state, I truly believe that anything written in your novel will be sub-par; marred, at best. When you're not "in the zone" your prose will reflect that.

By all means, write other things; poems, short stories, enter contests. Just don't touch that novel until your issue is resolved. Think about if folks: If you go slopping through your N.I.P. in a state of mediocre placidity, you'll have to go back and edit the crap out of the crap you created later on. That to me seems like a waste of time and a travesty to your characters and plot.

Relax. Work on other projects. Just keep your novel in the back of your mind at all times, searching for the cure to whatever ails it. It will come to you. BUT do not listen to those that demand productiveness at the expense of quality. Join me in this revolutionary thought: "Let your muse lead the way."

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Jennifer, that can be true depending on what the hold up is, but sometimes the only way to figure out what is holding you up is to write through it. I'm not saying you have to keep what you write to write through it, but sometimes getting that first word on paper helps. I was feeling the same way a couple of weeks ago, but as soon as I started writing the issue resolved itself. I was forcing the story instead of allowing it to reveal itself to me. I've heard of a writer's trick to figure out a dilemma like yours. I've not yet tried it, so I can't speak to its effective. The trick is to write "I can't write another word on this book because..." Then write whatever first pops in your head even if it seems to have nothing to do with your manuscript. Follow that until your brain tells you to stop. Put it aside for a few hours or overnight, then read it and see if it reveals anything to you. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Hope you resolve your issue soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tammy. I've never heard that little trick. I'll give it a try. It sounds very interesting. I've never had the pleasure of being hung up on a novel like this. Perhaps there's nothing wrong with it to begin with. Perhaps I'm just being overly concerned. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete