An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Any Suggestions??

Hello World!!

I'm on a mission today. I've been sick for a week and I haven't typed a word. I plan on doing my part to catch up on the writing I've missed. 
However, I could use your help on another issue. In speaking with a local writer friend of mine, the subject was brought up that most first-time novelists choose to write in 1st person POV since it seems to be the easiest route for beginners. My novel, "Wallflower" is in 3rd person. Aside from a novella I wrote once, I haven't tried the 1st person angle. 
The dilemma that my writer friend and I came across is how does the writer of a 1st person work switch points of view when it is NOT the main protagonist in a scene? You can't stay on one single character throughout the book. So how do you switch?
I'm asking my readers to provide me with the title of a good book written in 1st person. I'd like to see how the pros do it. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Ah the dreaded task of POV. There are a few books, I can dig up the titles later if you want (although may not be your genre of choice as a reader) written in 1st person. Originally I always found myself stuck in 3rd person, and I still lean that way. I like having the control, being able to peek into several people's lives and spring them to life. But 1st person, it's a bit more restricting, but offers just as many opportunities only in different ways. When I write in 1st person, I take it on as if my character were writing in a novel, or sneaking inside their mind to see all the thoughts people don't always verbalize. I look at it as, how do I tell my husband about my day, what gestures do I use, how much detail? Then, I have my character do the same, I have them tell me about their day. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete