An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Feeling Better

 As the title says, I'm feeling better. Not only has my health improved after being sick for a week, but my writing has become something I can be proud of. As any writer can relate, I've been battling procrastination and that little devil on my shoulder that whispers, "Your writing sucks!"
As I've mentioned in past posts, I purchased a book called "Word Painting" to help me with my descriptive prose. As much as I can absorb the information, it seems to be working, but at the very least, reading the book inspires me. 
Below is the beginning of my book "Wallflower". I'll give you a before and after example of how "Word Painting" has improved my descriptive ability:
Before:

“Where am I? Oh, God! Where am I?” A young lady, waifish in stature, calls out in terror. Distraught she spins in circles, trying desperately to take in her blurry surroundings. Where is this place? How did I get here?
“Please, someone help me.” She whimpers. There are people, lots of them, and books, rows and rows of books. It’s a library, but how?

After:
“Where am I? Oh, God! Where am I?” A young lady calls out in terror. Distraught, she spins in circles, trying desperately to take in her blurry surroundings. Where is this place? How did I get here?
“Please, someone help me.” She whimpers. The sound of her own voice is a strangled echo in her head. Between a blinking strobe of darkness and reality, she sees people, lots of them, and books, rows and rows of books. She knows it’s a library, but how? How did she get here?

See the difference? Sure, it adds to the word count, but I now feel secure that the reader will be able to place themselves into the action rather than being an outside observer.
That's all I had to report for today. What's in store for me tomorrow? More writing, and I'm looking so forward to it. :) 
TTYS 

No comments:

Post a Comment