An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Monday, November 22, 2010

Every Club Has It's Hazing

Everybody knows that when you decide to pledge a fraternity, club or member establishment, they must first go through the initiation process, which in and of itself is a daunting prospect. Add to that the likelihood that you will be subjected to some sort of hazing ritual before you are considered "one of them". 
Being a writer is no different.
Anybody can apply to this fraternity, but the initiation process is a deadly gauntlet compared to most. I plunged headlong into the writing world with vigor and superhuman determination (maybe even a healthy dose of naivety.) I prepared myself for the hazing ahead. Hazing is intended to weed out the weakest of the links; to punish, demoralize and humiliate the halfhearted majority. 
I refuse to be placed in that category.
I'm writing this because I just received my first formal rejection letter. 
Remember in my last post, I mentioned that an agent asked for the first 50 pages of Wallflower? I just got word that she has rejected my manuscript. 
No, a rejection is no surprise to me, and in no way do I plan on throwing in the towel. It's just that my dreamy, romantic side is sorely disappointed. Somewhere in the back of my creative mind, I daydreamed about being swooped up on my very first attempt. How awesome would that be? I know it was a silly notion, but hey, I wouldn't be a writer if I didn't dream. 
So I've been hazed. It's official, I'm a member of the club. I'm sure I'll get a few more paddles before I reap any rewards. There's lots of agents out there. I guess I've got some work to do! 
More later.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    There's another club you just admitted belonging to. The club of writers who dream they will be swooped up on their first attempt! Welcome to both clubs. We're happy to have you as a member. Oh, yeah, you get to stay even after you're published, so you can share your journey with newcomers as they struggle through joining the same clubs!
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete