An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Monday, November 29, 2010

Not-So-Magic 8 Ball

If you're a serious writer, querying agents is not an easy or pleasant task. I've spent my day pouring over websites, checklists, articles, writer's market guides and applicable blogs in order to research which agents are THE MOST appropriate fit for my work. How many queries have I sent out as a result?
One. I've sent out one, single, lonely query.
It turns out that I'm stuck on one literary agency. There are two, count 'em two agents employed at this agency who seem equally fit for paranormal/magic realism fiction. It's bad business to query more than one agent with the same agency. So, hoping to get a leg up on one or the other, I read their bios...no big eye-opener there. I proceeded to Google where I found several short articles about each of them. I couldn't tell weather I would be better suited with one or the other. They both seem like lovely people. How can you choose?
The final step in my research plan was to go to sites like Predators and Editors to see if anyone had a negative experience with these two individuals.
Nothing...
So, I got down and dirty and desperate. I consulted the magic 8 ball.
First, I asked the magic 8 ball, "Should I choose Agent 'A'?"
A: Ask again later
Crap!
Then, I asked the magic 8 ball, "Should I choose Agent 'B'?"
A: Maybe
Double crap!!
With my jaw firmly affixed in grinding position, I got up from my office chair and took a shower. Twenty minutes later, I returned with my wet hair wrapped in a towel and assumed the position yet again.
Should I choose Agent 'A'?"
A: Ask again later.
Urrrrgh!
Should I choose Agent 'B'?"
A: No.
I guess that narrows it down...sorta'...maybe...kinda'...damn it!
Breaking away from the eye-crossing blur of indecisiveness, I thought that perhaps a blog entry would help. Another day, another single, lonely query.

No comments:

Post a Comment