An excellent resource for all you hopeful authors out there

Find Literary Agents and Publishers at QueryTracker.net

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What Do They Mean, Cover Letter?

As any writer in the thick of querying agents, I come across a few surprises when I research each agency's submission guidelines. Just when I start getting into a routine of knowing exactly what I'm doing, up pops something new that snaps me back to attention.

Sometimes, they want your query attached in a certain format or file type. Sometimes they request your query be put in an attachment rather than in the body of the email. Sometimes vice-versa. But the one request that has always stumped me is when the agent/publisher asks for a cover letter. Everyone's heard of a cover letter when applying for a job. Most people know what that entails. I'm referring to a literary cover letter.

What's in a cover letter?

What are they looking for?

So I searched the internet. Would you believe I couldn't find anything? I asked my writer friends. Everyone drew a blank. I was actually passing up the agencies that asked for a cover letter simply because there was no information on how to create one.

Finally, I happened upon an article that spelled it out nicely for me. Hooray!! Here's the answer to the burning question:

A standard submission cover letter in the body of your email.

* Start the email by writing your contact information in the top left corner: Real name, address, phone, email address, title of the work, pen name if any, genre or category, and the word count of your manuscript according to MS Word. Don't round, and don't use "approximately 55,000 words." Please use the actual word count.

* Include your web or blog URL and any publication credits you may have.

* And don't forget the most important part-that short blurb that will pique our interest and make us eager to read more. Or at least give us your best attempt. We'll still read your manuscript even if the blurb isn't perfect.

How about that? My options have now vastly improved and I even get to practice my elevator pitch with a cover letter.

So there's your lesson for today folks. Now you won't feel like a twit when they so casually ask you for a cover letter. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful you found and posted this information. There are several agencies I bumped down on my list because I couldn't find any information on how to write the cover letter. Yay for having a longer list to query now : )

    ReplyDelete